Frequently Asked Questions
In no particular order, here are some of the questions that we get regularly. If you have a question not answered here, email us and we’ll be happy to make up something as an answer.
Is the water really cold?
- Worried about shrinkage?? The Colorado River is fed by snowmelt. So the water in June can be a little chilly, but the air is warm and the Colorado sunshine combine to make it much more comfortable. In August the water is warmer, so if you think you might get cold, you might prefer the August trip.
Do I need a wetsuit?
- “You look like a Zeppelin in a condom”
A wetsuit might seem like a good idea, but a wetsuit is designed to be worn in water, but only your feed will be in the water most of the time. Add in the Colorado sun, you’ll overheat really quick. Instead we suggest renting booties and a splash jacket from the rafting company when you check-in Saturday morning.
I don’t know how to swim, can I still come rafting?
- Yup! Everyone wears a life vest to keep you floating if you end up in the river. Just alert your guide and sit closer to the back of the raft so he/she/they can keep an eye on you. You might even get some mouth to mouth.
How do you organize boats? Can I make sure I raft with my friends?
- Yell “I Volunteer as Tribute!” When we unload at the boat launch we’ll ask you to help unload equipment, then load boats. Just hop in a boat with your crew. Boats hold around 8. So if you have some extra space, grab some others to fill out your boat. No Hunger Games competition needed.
What if I don’t like the people in my raft?
- We rarely have problems, but it can happen. First, talk to your guide and see if its something they can address. You can also switch rafts, just ask your guide before you jump ship. And lunch is a great time to shuffle rafts.
Someone is being obnoxious in my raft, what can I do?
- Talk to your guide. The guide is the captain of the boat and can find a solution. But unlike most captains, your guide won’t go down on you or with the boat if it sinks.
Can I just raft half day?
- Yes. You can choose to leave at lunch, or if you’d like to join us at lunch, you can, but to join at lunch let us know by emailing email@example.com after registering. The price is the same, even if you only attend for half the day.
I’m in a wheelchair / differently abled can I raft?
- ABSOLUTELY. Our outfitter has a lot of experience working with adaptive sports groups and differently abled participants. Just shoot us an email to let us know.
I have extra beds in my room, do you organize roommates?
I’m looking to share a room, can you find me a roommate?
Is the hotel pet-friendly?
- Woof. The hotel does have a couple of pet-friendly rooms. Ask at the time of booking. There is also a great off-leash dog park nearby.
What are the changes to the trip due to COVID-19?
- We highly suggest everyone get the vaccine and we will be following any CDC, state, and local guidelines. Currently in Garfield County masks are required in stores, restaurants (until seated), and other public indoor spaces. Masks are NOT required during the raft trip.